Milton Keynes Leadership Academy - Leadership and Coaching Legacy Programme
- Extend your knowledge through guest speakers and external tutors
- Gain valuable volunteering and work experience with a number of external organisations such as the School Sports Partnership, local primary schools, the Council, National Governing Bodies, Sports Leaders UK and sports charity StreetGames
- Receive a fully enhanced DBS check and a reference for future employment
- Opportunity to undertake additional sports related qualifications outside of your study programme
- Expert teaching by specialist staff
- Great opportunities to progress into employment
19 - 23 £1750.00
Overseas £3500.00 Location: Chaffron Way
What does this course cover?
This course has been designed in partnership with the local sporting sector and will provide you with a wide and varied skill set relevant to the current sporting sector as well as gaining the experience within the sector, to progress into a job within the sports coaching industry.
Examples of the qualifications covered within this course are:
- Level 2 Diploma in Sports Studies
- Sports Leaders UK Level 2 Community Sports Leaders Award
- Sports Leaders UK Level 2 Community Sports Volunteering Award
- Sports Leaders UK Level 3 Higher Sports Leaders Award
- StreetGames Doorstep Sport Level 2
- 1st4sport Level 2 Award in Multi-Skills Development in Sport
- 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in the Principles and Preparations for Coaching Sport
- First aid
- Safeguarding and protecting children
- How to coach disabled people in sport
- Equity in your coaching
- Behaviour management in sport
- Engaging women and girls in sport and physical activity
- StreetGames Retention of Participants
- StreetGames Volunteer Retention
- StreetGames Mentoring Volunteers
- StreetGames and The Golf Foundation – StreetGolf Activator Workshop
- StreetGames and Rugby Football League – StreetRugby Activator Workshop
- StreetGames Organising and Managing Events
- StreetGames Fundraising and Small Grants
- Sport specific officiating course
- Sport specific event management course
In addition you will study Functional skills or GCSE qualifications which are designed to provide the necessary levels of English and maths skills needed to ‘function’ in today’s society and workplace. They are a key component of all College Programmes.
Who is this course for?
Are you a sports project leader, coach, volunteer or student with a keen interest in improving your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of sports leadership and sports coaching?
Do you wish to enhance your generic coaching / organisation and management skills as well as further developing your sport specific knowledge and capabilities? Then this course is ideal for you.
What can I do after this course?
The content of this course is designed to help you become an able and confident individual, with the right skills for your desired career path. You could move onto employment within the sports industry, for example doing sports coaching, sports development or event management. You could also look for an apprenticeship in a sports related field, or move on to a Level 3 qualification within sports studies or fitness.
Why choose this course?
If you are a Sports Coach, a Volunteer, a Sports Student, or are even just interested in getting into sport, this course offers a variety of different entry points tailored directly for you, to enable you to get the most of the teaching. If you want to improve your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of sports leadership and sports coaching, and enhance your generic coaching, organisation and management skills, then this course is for you. You will receive help and encouragement to improve your skill set, with a variety of 32 essential qualifications on offer, as well as a significant amount of work experience.
You must have a minimum of 5 GCSE's at grade A*(9)-D(3) including English and Maths.
How much will I have to study each week?
The college programme is delivered over 36 weeks (one academic year) starting in October 2017, approximately 16 hours over 3 days per week; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
You will also be required to complete 50+ volunteer hours outside of sessions in order to complete relevant aspects of the programme.
Do I need to purchase anything?
A fee of £150 is payable at the start of the course. This is to cover costs for your uniform, as you are required to wear the Blue College Sports Leadership Kit, black tracksuit bottoms or shorts and trainers. Further information on where to buy college kit will be provided in your induction pack. You may also receive various other items of kit/clothing through our link to StreetGames, as well as your contribution to any other volunteer opportunities.
How will I be assessed?
Each individual course has a variety of assessment methods ranging from; presentations, written assignments, group discussions and practical assessments.
All courses are assessed and graded individually but contribute to the overall success of the program. Therefore every assessment counts towards your final achievement. You will be assessed continuously throughout the year.
How will my progress be monitored?
Your progress is monitored through regular one to one tutorials and regular monitoring of assessment work.