Level 1 Preparing for Progression in Active Industries
- Guest speakers from industry e.g. Police Force, Fire & Rescue Services, Armed Services and sports industry representatives
- Trips and visits to key employers e.g. Fire & Rescue training centres, Army Youth Team, sports centres and gyms
- A fantastic foundation for up-skilling and enhancing your employability.
19 - 23 £2000.00
Overseas £4000.00 Location: Bletchley Campus
What does this course cover?
This course will cover the following areas:
- Learning how Public Service and health and fitness industries work and how you can build a future within them
- Health, safety and emergency care
- Well-being and physical fitness
- Anatomy and physiology
- Team working skills
- Developing self-discipline
- Carry out essential map reading
- Finding out about volunteering and becoming a volunteer
In addition you will study Functional skills or GCSE qualifications which are designed to provide the necessary levels of English and maths skills needed to ‘function’ in today’s society and workplace. They are a key component of all College programmes.
Who is this course for?
Maybe the academic route has not worked for you, and a more practical, vocational style of learning will? Do you wish to progress within Public Services, health and fitness or sports industries? This course will provide you with an excellent springboard to move on to further study.
What can I do after this course?
Studying this programme will allow you to progress to a Level 2 programme within Sport Science, Health and Fitness and Public Services department or alternatively any Level 2 programme across Milton Keynes College.
You will need to have 1 graded GCSE.
How much will I have to study each week?
You should be prepared to study for around 25 hours per week. Approximately 16 hours will be taught sessions at college, the rest will be homework and assessments.
You can expect to be in college 4-5 days per week and classes will normally run between 9am and 5pm.
Do I need to purchase anything?
You are required to wear a College polo shirt with black or navy blue jogging bottoms and trainers. Information on where to buy college polo shirts will be in your induction pack.
You will also be required to make small contributions to trips and visits.
How will I be assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the course through set project work and practical assessments. Functional Skills are assessed by on-line exams and you will be given guidance and support to achieve these.
How will my progress be monitored?
Your progress is monitored through regular one to one tutorials and regular assessment of project work and practical assessments. You will have a personal tutor who will support you with your studies.